Wednesday 12 November 2014

peer review reflection

In this course, we wrote reviews, identify problems and question on other’s writing. Personally, I felt that it was really helpful to have my peers evaluate my work. They gave a different perspective in the problems we wrote in our writings which most of the time I would not have noticed. Furthermore, many language problems can be resolved through this exercise.

It was also enjoyable reading post by others and learn from their mistakes as well as the good points in their essay during peer review. By doing this, I actually have a hands on experience in editing work and discovered what are the common language mistakes my peers made and learn and remind myself not to make them. We also learn more about each other personally by reading each other’s posts.

Through this exercise, I have learnt more about my own style of writing when I compared it with my peers. This exercise also improved my style by forcing me to put myself in other’s shoe and mind-set when I read their essay. This actually made me realised that some essay were harder to understand than others. So as a writer, I feel that I should always put myself in the reader’s shoes as well and think through my writing to ensure that it is crystal clear for my readers.


Such experiences in editing and ensuring clarity are important in my field of work as I need to constantly ensure that my research papers are clear and easy for my reader’s to understand. Although fantastic English was not needed, this peer review have allowed me to hone my editing skills so that it is easy for me to convey my ideas through to my readers and to ensure that my language is good enough and that my readers can really understand it.

Overall, I felt that this exercise really strengthens my weaknesses in the English language, of which didn't really receive such trainings in my previous educations.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Albert, for this critical reflection. You do a good job of reviewing some of the main components of our course and the way that your experience with those 'exercises' might have impacted your skills development. I can understand from this essay that you have valued having the opportunity to do peer reviews, easily putting yourself in other 'readers' shoes. I'm glad you found benefit in that.

    There are only a few areas of this critique that I wonder about: Has this sort of editing experience carried over to your planning essays and writing/revising in other courses? Can you imagine that it would, or would not?

    In this essay there are a few minor language issues. As you review this, can you find your own mistakes? That's an ever-evolving process, of course. I wish you all the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete