Wednesday 20 August 2014

Coming from a Chinese speaking family, English had been a bane in my life since young. After years of learning it through the education system, I've come to realise the fact that learning a new language wasn't as easy as it seems, especially when the main languages I used at home are Chinese and dialects. It could be probably due to the fact that there wasn't any place for me to practice English besides in school that I lost interest in learning it and I am contented on just knowing the basics for communication purposes.

In the Singapore education system,I feel that they actually focus more on Science and Math even since PSLE. An example is that PSLE grading system gives a higher weightings to these two subjects rather than Mother Tongue or English. Even in junior collage, H1 General Paper had a lower weighting than the other H2 subjects. Furthermore, in tertiary studies or even work life, the practical uses of English are limited (except for communication) as compared to other majors. All those argumentative essays we wrote in our study life, will it be applicable in the future? Or will it be  a complete waste of time? Perhaps it was all these factors that actually deterred me from loving the language.

Despite saying that, I have to agree that  critical thinking skills as well as persuasive skills we use in our writing are important. In the future, we may need these skills for report writing, as well as convey our thoughts to the other party without speech.

Having to fail QET and ended up in ES1000, I've learnt a lot from my tutor last semester. His lessons were surprisingly interesting as compared to my last encounter of GP in my junior collage life. I also end up polishing my terrible grammar as well as sentences structure (hahas). Well since I'm here taking this module, I might as well make full use of it to polish up my skills as well as meeting new friends!!!:)


7 comments:

  1. I do get the gist of your reflections and how you struggle to overcome the various challenges in learning the English language

    However, I would like to point out that you have quite an issue with subject verb agreements. For example in para. 2, you used the word essay and followed it up with 'those' and 'it' instead of 'these' and 'they'.

    The last sentence of para. 1 seems a bit too long for me to digest. It would be great if you could dissect the various themes into smaller sentences.

    It could look like this: It could be due to the fact that I could only use English in school. As a result, I lost interest in learning and was content in knowing the basics for communication purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this reflective post, Albert. You do a fairly good job reviewing your past English learning in a concise manner. I can easily sympathize with your situation, with you speaking one language at home and another in class at school. You've obviously learned a lot, but indeed need to polish your work.

    Here are a few areas to consider:

    1) I've come to realise the fact that learning a new language wasn't as easy as it seems. Especially when the main languages I used at home are Chinese and dialects. (fragment)
    2) H1 General Paper have …
    3) the practical uses of English is
    4) All those argumentative essays we wrote in our study life. (fragment)
    5) covey
    6) His lessons are surprisingly interesting…. (tense)

    I look forward to working with you this term.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Albert! Akin to you, I come from a Chinese speaking family, and did not have many opportunities to practice English. Besides that, I feel that the assessment in our education system further deterred you from cultivating interest in English. However, you understand the importance of communicating in today's society, hence working hard on it too.
    Hope ES1102 will cultivate your interest in English, all the best!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Albert, interesting post you have there. I can totally relate to it since I am also from a Chinese speaking family. The woes of not being able to practice at home is definitely nerve wrecking.

    However there is some parts where it sounded weird to me, I might not be right but we are here to learn right?

    In paragraph one,"wasn't any place for me to practice English besides in school " I feel that it sounded right if you write " wasn't any place for me to practice English except for school".

    In paragraph two"I feel that they actually focus more on Science and Math even since PSLE" Instead, I think you should write " Since PSLE, I felt that more focus were given to Science and Math"

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Albert! I was able to understand clearly why you lost your interest in English through your reflections in this post. I have also learnt more about the Singapore education system (or at least the grading system) through the examples given in your post. Overall, I think that your post is coherent and cohesive. It is also simple yet informative apart from some grammar mistakes mentioned above. I hope that you'll love English more by each day! Nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Albert, like you mentioned in your post, I too come from a Chinese speaking family. I could understand how you felt about not having enough opportunities to practice speaking in English. Since we are taking ES1102 now, I am sure we will have the chance to improve on both our English writing and communication skills. All in all, the development of the ideas flow throughout the post and I could understand it without much difficulty.
    Thank you for sharing your post.

    ReplyDelete